You want a baby! What a gift that is! When trying to conceive, an overview of ovulation and fertility specifics might be what you need after talking things over with your OB-GYN doctor. Please don’t worry because there are solutions. SAD lights and light therapy lamps are beneficial for a mom-to-be when suffering from seasonal affective disorder.
The hardest thing for me to understand when we were trying to have a baby was understanding the ovulation cycle. This is not understood by half of the women going to their doctors.
The encounter of not being able to achieve pregnancy can be extremely emotional and stressful for couples. To stay healthy and as relaxed as possible, eat a balanced diet, keep a healthy weight, and take steps to reduce stress, such as keeping up with regular exercise. Receiving help from a counselor also can relieve stress. Drink lots of water.
When you are trying to conceive take a daily prenatal vitamin. Then when you do become pregnant your fetus now developing will have a healthier head start—and you too.
What is Ovulation?
When a mature egg leaves the ovary down the fallopian tube, it is now ready to be fertilized by male sperm. This is the time of ovulation. Around every month an egg will mature in one of your ovaries head down the fallopian tube waiting for sperm in the uterus. The uterine lining thickens in preparation for the fertilized egg and if you did not conceive, the lining and blood of the uterus will have sloughed off as another menstrual cycle.
Understanding Your Cycle
To better understand your cycle, and it’s time consuming to do, you should take your temperature each morning at the same time for a few months. Record the temperature and time on the calendar each day or in your special journal. You will know your baseline (starting point, normal) temperature and will see when it rises on about the fourteenth day. This means you are ovulating. You usually conceive one day before and one day after ovulation. An egg lives 12- to 24-hours after leaving the ovary. You might also have some light spotting during ovulation. Keeping track of your cycle for a few months will tell you the day you are fertile usually the two to three days before your temperature rises. You might want to consider a light therapy lamps such as this one on Amazon.com®.
What is Infertility?
Studies show that if you have not conceived after a year, you might not be fertile and will want to see a specialist usually after the first six months.
Many things can cause infertility—from medical conditions to lifestyle routines. Women having blocked fallopian tubes or fibroids can have problems conceiving. Men with lower sperm count and blockages can contribute to infertility. Smoking for men can decrease sperm count and smoking for women can decrease the number of eggs. Another factor for infertility is consuming elevated levels of alcohol.
Tips for Conceiving Quicker
No one wants to wait when planning their family. There are some things you can do and other things best not to do to increase your chance for becoming pregnant. Do you need a wakeup lamp to help you get up and at it?
Go Get a Preconception Checkup
When you’ve planned to start a family, go see your OB-GYN for a wellness checkup and talk with the doctor about prenatal vitamins with folic acid that protects against some birth defects like spina bifida. Get enough folic acid before pregnancy so that you are getting plenty.
These are foods rich in folic acid, but won’t be enough, so take supplements for you and the baby.
At your checkup, your doctor will be able to tell you if you have any fundamental medical issues to be discussed before you get pregnant. It’s always important to have straightforward honest conversations with your doctor.
A good prenatal vitamin with folate is shown here.
Become Familiar with Your Menstrual Cycle
When you really understand your menstrual cycle, you will know when you are the most fertile to conceive. This is the best time to concentrate on having sex to conceive.
Some things you might not know about for the signs of ovulation are:
- Notice the change in mucous from the cervix that you will see from the vagina on your panties. It will be thinner and more slippery when you are the most fertile. You might feel a twinge on one side at about the ovaries level.
- You can buy prediction kits that will help you to know the best time to conceive. When you don’t have frequent sex, this will tell you when to increase it for better chances of becoming pregnant.
- The way the kit works is it considers the first day of your period to be day one. Start testing on the ninth day and continue each day until you get a positive result. If you have a 28-day cycle, you will probably ovulate on day 14. However, not all women are the same. Some have shorter or longer cycles.
- If you use birth control you no longer need to wait as was done years ago. Stop your birth control and start trying to conceive. With the hormone changes from the birth control, you might become pregnant before you start your period. It might be harder to track ovulation and know your due date. You might feel better if you wait for your next period then start calculating after you get off birth control.
Strange Things That Happen When Pregnant
Isn’t it a miracle that women can grow another human in their own body? Did you know that your baby pees inside the uterus? And they drink it. Urine is pure you know. I was pregnant only one time, and that was enough of an experience for me.
- Your baby pees a little over a quart a day.
- Your normal uterus is about the size of a plum and will stretch to the size of a watermelon 500 times larger. You know it comes out the same way it went in only larger. That in itself is mind boggling.
- Babies in the womb suck their thumbs, hold their hands, wave, and masturbate. Check it out on your ultrasound picture. They also cry and I heard mine cooing.
- A change in pregnant women’s skin tone happens in 9 out of 10 women.
- The longest pregnancy on record was 375 days—10 days more than a year.
- Babies in the uterus grow hair all over their bodies called lanugo looking like a fur coat that is shed before being born.
Orgasms can induce contractions when you are past your due date so abstain from sex in any way.
When you have trouble getting comfortable with your growing belly, try a pregnancy pillow in all sizes and styles shown here. I hope what I’ve said here gives you information to help you along with your conception. It will be exciting when you do get pregnant and start decorating your nursery. How to get pregnant and learning about ovulation and fertility should help you understand the conception process better. Best of luck.